Background and Purpose
The International School Yangon (formerly known as International School Rangoon) celebrated its 60th anniversary in September, 2015. ISY is proud of the fact that it has impacted the lives of thousands of students over the years.
Founded in 1952 by Ms. Jevne, an American woman, The International School Yangon (ISY) originally served the needs of students whose parents were working the diplomatic and business community. It continued to grow in size and soon became a kindergarten through grade 12 school offering outstanding academic programs to both international and local students. In 1955, a Declaration of Trust was made by His Excellency, Joseph C. Satterwaite, Ambassador of the United States to the Union of Burma.
In 1988, the school moved to its present location in the Golden Valley neighborhood of Yangon. When it moved to its new location, the school maintained the original administrative building which was once the private home of one of ISY's first local teachers. It was also a center for the Japanese occupation forces during World War II, and an administrative center for the Burmese/Myanmar Government.
Today, ISY takes pride in being a top-tier benchmark school in Myanmar, with more than 700 students from 40 countries in attendance. We offer a program based on an American core curriculum with an International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme. ISY is a private, nonprofit, and nondenominational school.
Ninety-eight percent of ISY graduates move on to colleges and universities of their choice around the world. ISY is committed to a program that reflects both the school community's high expectations for academic rigor and the needs of the multinational student body. There is a deep commitment to its mission, which encourages all students to be a force for positive change in their communities and the world.
ISY encourages students to pursue a wide range of interests beyond the classroom. In partnership with parents, the school community fosters the development of each student’s potential by seeking a balance of academic, physical, social, emotional and aesthetic pursuits.
The International School Yangon is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and is a member of the East Asian Regional Council of Schools (EARCOS). ISY is committed to excellence, ensuring that all students achieve a high level of accomplishment using English as the medium of instruction.
ISY is united around its new mission/vision/tagline, together referred to as guiding statements. These include-
The International School Yangon is a community of compassionate global citizens.
We aim to develop lifelong learners who will be a force for positive change in the world.
Global learners, lifelong service.
Our strategic plan provides direction toward our guiding statements. Our strategic plan is designed around eight broad themes:
- ISY is committed to addressing the individual learning of each student. A program of Inclusion will ensure differentiated instruction for all of our students de-emphasizing the need for additional tutoring.
- Recognizing the opportunity to contribute to change in both our own, as well as the larger community around us, ISY strives to be a leader in Service Learning as a means to engage as global citizens.
- ISY will support the global sustainable development goals (SDGs) by developing Environmental Consciousness through programs, policies and procedures, including a “greener” campus.
- The families of ISY constitute a wide variety of nationalities and cultures. We will Celebrate Culture and Diversity at ISY. In particular, we will promote greater awareness of our host country culture and expand host country language programs.
- Technology Integration will be a focus of our curriculum and program development, as well as our campus infrastructure development, with an emphasis on innovation.
- We will promote the brand, reputation, and strategic objectives of ISY by developing Marketing strategies that include an inviting approach to admissions, community engagement, and an overall marketing plan.
- We will provide the best service possible to our community by maintaining Financial Sustainability through improved operational efficiency, increased fundraising, and the development of new revenue sources.
- ISY will explore and develop
facilities options, including the creation of a satellite campus in Naypyitaw, to support our host country
in its growth and development and to assist our international community to
engage with the Myanmar government.